Course News & Downloads
- The Concession Overview Page
- The Concession Procession: On the heels of dramatic NCAA Women’s Championship, the NCAA Division I Men’s Championships open play at Nicklaus-designed Concession GC
- 2015 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championships tee off today at Nicklaus-designed The Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla.
- Amateur golf showcased this week in inaugural Concession Cup at Nicklaus-designed The Concession Golf Club
- The Concession by Dave Lockhart
- Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin to serve as honorary captains of inaugural Concession Cup
- The Concession Golf Club a finalist for 2017 Solheim Cup
- The Concession Golf Club Announces New Head Professional
- This week's Big Ten Match Play, 2015 NCAAs set
for The Concession Golf Club
- The Concession partners on contest for Ryder Cup
- The Concession Golf Club stars during Big Ten Match Play Championship
The Concession News
January 14, 2011
The Concession Golf Club hosts clubs in Ryder Cup-inspired Concession Cup
BRADENTON, Fla. - The Concession Golf Club hosted and won the first Concession Cup Dec. 2-4. The competition pitted a team from The Concession against teams from five elite private golf clubs from the Philadelphia area in a tournament designed to emulate the traditions, camaraderie and competition of the Ryder Cup matches, upon which The Concession Golf Club was inspired and built.
The Concession, a Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course designed in association with Tony Jacklin, was conceived in commemoration of the 1969 Ryder Cup singles match between the two, where Nicklaus conceded a putt to Jacklin on the final hole. That now-legendary gesture of sportsmanship, known as "the concession," rendered the two teams in a 17-17 tie. The United States retained the Ryder Cup, having won it in 1967. That moment marked the beginning of a lasting friendship between the two men and inspired one of America's great golf clubs.
The Concession's Tournament Director Jimmy Wright, Head Golf Professional Gary Geiger and members of the host team welcomed players from Blue Bell Country Club, Cedarbrook Country Club, Plymouth Country Club, Indian Valley Country Club and Jack Frost National Golf Course. The teams competed in five nine-hole matches over two days with each team playing the others once. In the end, the team from The Concession came out on top.
"Not only the golf course, but everything else about the event was first class," said Blue Bell captain Joe Sosnowski. "The staff, the meals, the clubhouse and the accommodations in the Nicklaus Manor homes—all were among the finest we have ever experienced, and many in this group have been traveling the world for 15 years playing in high-level competitions. This will certainly be one of the most memorable."
For more information about The Concession Golf Club, call 941-322-1922 or visit them online at www.theconession.com.