Course News & Downloads
- Cougar Canyon Golf Links Overview Page
- Cougar Canyon Golf Links Scorecard
- Cougar Canyon Golf Links in Trinidad, Colorado: Retro Nicklaus golf with an Old West flair
- Golfweek Magazine Awards Cougar Canyon #5 Best New Course in the U.S.
- Cougar Canyon in Southern Colorado among four Nicklaus Design layouts in Golfweek's ranking of America's “Best New Courses 2008”
- Cougar Canyon named to GOLF's Top 10 New Courses You Can Play to extend Nicklaus Design's streak to a record 11 straight years
- Cougar Canyon Golf Resort Community building boutique hotel
- Colorado's Cougar Canyon Golf Links
Opens For Play
Cougar Canyon Golf Links News
August 31, 2007
Colorado's Cougar Canyon Golf Links
Opens For Play
TRINIDAD, Colorado (August 31, 2007) - Cougar Canyon Golf Links is now open for public play and positioning itself to become one of the premier golf resorts in the country. Created by Nicklaus Design, this links style course is a unique combination of mountain and desert terrain with split fairways, pedestal greens, and black sand bunkers. The Sangre de Cristo mountain range provides the backdrop, setting the stage for this scenic location. The temperate climate of southern Colorado allows for play during all four seasons.
The par 72, 7789 yard Cougar Canyon Golf Links has already received rave reviews from GOLFViews and Rocky Mountain Golf magazines. The slope rating for the course is 139.
The front nine is a true links style, open but challenging. Gray Creek comes into play creatively on many holes on the second nine. Chris Cochran, Design Associate with Nicklaus Design, explains, "We let the lay of the land dictate the design of the links style holes - desert meets mountain terrain along the dramatic, and craggy features of Gray Creek."
The course is designed to accommodate golfers of all skill levels. PGA Director of Golf Operations Matt Reams says, "This course received a high slope rating but it still encourages new players to master the game." All abilities are tested on signature hole #16, a par 3 island green which will challenge even the most precise golfer.
Expansive practice areas feature a 9,000 square foot putting green and a 50,000 square foot turf driving range with 6 target greens on a 330 yard landing area.
To satiate appetites and thirst, the on-course beverage cart is stocked with cold sandwiches, snacks, candies, soda, water, sport drinks, beer, wine, liquor and mixers. The Fairway Grill serves continental breakfast, lunch, and dinner along with a lounge menu with complete beverage service throughout the day.
Cougar Canyon Golf Links is open for public play and green fees are $59. Premier and Preview golf memberships are available to real estate owners and non-owners. The Pro Shop is located at 304 Shanahan Drive, Trinidad, CO. For information and tee times, call 719-422-7015.