Course News & Downloads
- Harbor Shores Overview Page
- Senior PGA Championship returns to Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Course at Harbor Shores
- Jack Nicklaus, Community Leaders Kick Off 73rd Senior PGA Championship Presented By KitchenAid In Benton Harbor
- Harbor Shores readies for 2012 Senior PGA
- The Golf Club at Harbor Shores Recognized by GOLF Magazine’s Best New List
- Nicklaus and Co. delight crowd at Harbor Shores
- Video: Jack Nicklaus sinks 100-foot putt during Champions for Change at Harbor Shores grand opening
- The Golf Club at Harbor Shores Celebrates Its Grand Opening with The Champions for Change Golf Challenge - Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson and Johnny Miller Compete in Charity Skins Exhibition
- Jack and fellow legends discuss Aug. 10
Harbor Shores Champions for Change event
- Senior PGA Championship coming to Jack Nicklaus-designed Harbor Shores in 2012 and 2014
- Greener Greens: How Benton Harbor went from a giant brownfield to lustrous, lakefront Nicklaus green
Harbor Shores News
December 14, 2010
The Golf Club at Harbor Shores Recognized by GOLF Magazine’s Best New List
Harbor Shores Community Redevelopment, Inc. is pleased to announce that The Golf Club at Harbor Shores, a Jack Nicklaus Signature Course, was ranked No. 3 on the recently released Best New Courses You Can Play list compiled by GOLF Magazine.
This prestigious annual ranking by GOLF Magazine celebrates the top 10 new public-access courses in the country.
In describing the course, GOLF Magazine said, “One of the year’s feel-good stories is this short but stern Jack Nicklaus Signature design that weaves through hardwoods, marshland and the massive white sand dunes that edge Lake Michigan on holes 7, 8 and 9. Developers are hopeful the course will help kick- start this long-depressed area of southwest Michigan.”
Harbor Shores Managing Director Mark Hesemann said, “The team at Harbor Shores is very proud of this recognition. I had the honor to be a part of Jack Nicklaus’ team for a number of years and it was truly rewarding to have the opportunity to work with him again.
“To this day, I will not forget the first time we toured Jack through the land that was going to be used for the course. He looked at me and said, ‘Where did you find this place?’ Then he began working his magic to design another award-winning course.”
Nicklaus Design, founded by golf legend and preeminent designer Jack Nicklaus, has placed at least one course in the GOLF Magazine Best New Courses You Can Play list for 14 straight years, which is the longest active streak by any design firm in the rankings' history. Since the first annual list of the 10 best public-access courses was released in 1990 by GOLF, Nicklaus Design has placed 21 courses, including 14 from 1997-2007.
“With Harbor Shores, we set out really to change a community,” Nicklaus said. “This wasn't just about a golf course. This was a non-profit project. That's the important part of it. When we started, we had a factory where the first tee is. We had to remove toxic waste and buildings. But in the end, the whole course looks beautiful and we hope is enjoyable to play.”
Opened in August 2010, The Golf Club at Harbor Shores held its grand opening celebration by hosting the “Champions for Change” golf challenge, featuring a charity skins match between course designer Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson and Johnny Miller. A few months prior to that historic grouping of golf legends, it was announced that The Golf Club at Harbor Shores will host the 2012 and 2014 Senior PGA Championships.
In playing in the grand opening event, course designer Nicklaus said, “I thought the golf course was in fantastic condition. The golf course was quite good and I’m quite proud of it. I’m also proud that I was asked to be a part of this project.”