Open For Play (1974)
5750 Memorial Drive
Dublin, OH 43017 USA
Muirfield Village Golf Club was the dream and work of Jack, in association with Desmond Muirhead. The land was acquired in 1966, but construction did not begin until July 28, 1972. The golf course is situated on 220 acres, which includes an 11-acre driving range. The course was officially dedicated on Memorial Day, May 27, 1974, with an exhibition match between Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf. Nicklaus scored a six-under par 66, which stood as the course record until 1979.
The 18-hole layout, selected by Golf Digest as No. 17 among "America's 100 Greatest Courses," played at 6,978 yards in its original form, but is 7,221 at present. It had 77 bunkers, a number since reduced to 71, and water can be a hazard on 11 holes.
A Columbus Pro-Am on August 11, 1975 was the first event held at Muirfield, and the first Memorial Tournament was played in May 1976. The Memorial Tournament has grown into one of golf's premier events, often called the fifth major. The course has also hosted the 1986 U.S. Junior Amateur, the 1987 Ryder Cup Matches, the U.S.G.A's 1992 United States Amateur Championship, the 1995 Wendy's Three-Tour Challenge, and the 1998 Solheim Cup.
Home of the prestigious Memorial Tournament since 1976, Muirfield Village has been consistently ranked in the Top 20 in the United States and Top 50 in the world since it opened. Voted the No. 1 course in golf-rich Ohio. Name was inspired by Jack's first British Open victory in 1966 at Muirfield, Scotland.
Presidents Cup 2013 Packages
3, 5 and 7 night Muirfield tournament packages are on sale now through Nicklaus Travel. Activate your Nicklaus Travel Passport membership for free and receive bonus travel rewards when you book!
Course News & Downloads
- Muirfield Village Golf Club Overview Page
- Legends Luncheon presented by Nationwide Insurance expands reach
- Muirfield Village jumps five spots to lead eight Nicklaus Design courses in Golf Digest's list of America's 100 Greatest Golf Courses
- Tickets and travel packages now available for the 10th Presidents Cup
- Kent State captures Jack Nicklaus Invitational title
- The Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance earns “Best Of” at PGA TOUR meetings
- Couples offers Nicklaus, Jordan assistant captain
- Price, Couples name captains’ assistants for The Presidents Cup 2013
- The Presidents Cup tees off at Muirfield Village in one year
- Memorial Tournament tickets now available
- Woods, Nicklaus, and Muirfield Village Golf Club shine once more at the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance
- Raymond Floyd Selected 2013 Memorial Tournament Honoree
- Jack Nicklaus Award Recipients Announced
- Tiger Woods wins 2012 Memorial Tournament
- Barbara Nicklaus discusses the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance
- Jack Nicklaus honors Tom Watson at Memorial Tournament
- A Memorial Tournament interview with Jack Nicklaus
- Final Field announced for the 2012 Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide Insurance
- Memorial Honoree Ceremony, Nicklaus Clinic and Military Appreciation Day join Wednesday schedule of events in 2012
- 37th Memorial Tournament field swells with big names
- Major Championship Winners Phil Mickelson and Rory McIlroy Commit to Memorial Tournament
- Exclusive 2012 Memorial Tournament Daily Ticket Pack and The Presidents Cup 2013 Offer
- Muirfield Village Golf Club hosts collegiate Jack Nicklaus Invitational
- 12-hole events at Muirfield Village Golf Club a success
- A Labor of Love
- Memorial Tournament luncheon nets $250K for Nationwide Children’s Hospital
- Muirfield Village Golf Club to host The Presidents Cup in 2013