Open For Play (1974)
5750 Memorial Drive
Dublin, OH 43017 USA
Muirfield Village Golf Club was the dream and work of Jack, in association with Desmond Muirhead. The land was acquired in 1966, but construction did not begin until July 28, 1972. The golf course is situated on 220 acres, which includes an 11-acre driving range. The course was officially dedicated on Memorial Day, May 27, 1974, with an exhibition match between Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf. Nicklaus scored a six-under par 66, which stood as the course record until 1979.
The 18-hole layout, selected by Golf Digest as No. 17 among "America's 100 Greatest Courses," played at 6,978 yards in its original form, but is 7,221 at present. It had 77 bunkers, a number since reduced to 71, and water can be a hazard on 11 holes.
A Columbus Pro-Am on August 11, 1975 was the first event held at Muirfield, and the first Memorial Tournament was played in May 1976. The Memorial Tournament has grown into one of golf's premier events, often called the fifth major. The course has also hosted the 1986 U.S. Junior Amateur, the 1987 Ryder Cup Matches, the U.S.G.A's 1992 United States Amateur Championship, the 1995 Wendy's Three-Tour Challenge, and the 1998 Solheim Cup.
Home of the prestigious Memorial Tournament since 1976, Muirfield Village has been consistently ranked in the Top 20 in the United States and Top 50 in the world since it opened. Voted the No. 1 course in golf-rich Ohio. Name was inspired by Jack's first British Open victory in 1966 at Muirfield, Scotland.
Latest Course News
- Muirfield Village Golf Club Overview Page
- Five-time major champion Phil Mickelson commits to the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide
- Reigning Masters champion Jordan Spieth joins world-class Tournament field
- Five-time Memorial Tournament winner Tiger Woods officially commits
- Defending Memorial Tournament winner Hideki Matsuyama, two-time Masters champion Bubba Watson and top talent Dustin Johnson highlight early commitments to the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide
- Reigning British Open champ Phil Mickelson and two-time major championship winner Rory McIlroy commit to Memorial Tournament
- After resounding success at Muirfield Village Golf Club, attention turns to JNGC Korea and 2015 Presidents Cup
- The Presidents Cup announces sellout of competition round tickets
- Top players looking forward to The Presidents Cup 2013
- The Presidents Cup 2013 General Information & Schedule
- Legends Luncheon presented by Nationwide Insurance expands reach