Open For Play (1974)
5750 Memorial Drive
Dublin, OH 43017 USA
Muirfield Village Golf Club Online:
Muirfield Village Golf Club was the dream and work of Jack, in association with Desmond Muirhead. The land was acquired in 1966, but construction did not begin until July 28, 1972. The golf course is situated on 220 acres, which includes an 11-acre driving range. The course was officially dedicated on Memorial Day, May 27, 1974, with an exhibition match between Nicklaus and Tom Weiskopf. Nicklaus scored a six-under par 66, which stood as the course record until 1979.
The 18-hole layout, selected by Golf Digest as No. 17 among "America's 100 Greatest Courses," played at 6,978 yards in its original form, but is 7,221 at present. It had 77 bunkers, a number since reduced to 71, and water can be a hazard on 11 holes.
A Columbus Pro-Am on August 11, 1975 was the first event held at Muirfield, and the first Memorial Tournament was played in May 1976. The Memorial Tournament has grown into one of golf's premier events, often called the fifth major. The course has also hosted the 1986 U.S. Junior Amateur, the 1987 Ryder Cup Matches, the U.S.G.A's 1992 United States Amateur Championship, the 1995 Wendy's Three-Tour Challenge, and the 1998 Solheim Cup.
Home of the prestigious Memorial Tournament since 1976, Muirfield Village has been consistently ranked in the Top 20 in the United States and Top 50 in the world since it opened. Voted the No. 1 course in golf-rich Ohio. Name was inspired by Jack's first British Open victory in 1966 at Muirfield, Scotland.
Latest Course News
- Muirfield Village Golf Club Overview Page
- Muirfield Village Golf Club hires Chad Mark as superintendent
- The Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide sets new giving record to Nationwide Children’s Hospital with $1,676,500 donation
- 2016 Memorial Tournament Press Conference with Jack Nicklaus
- SkyTrak Golf simulator – featuring Muirfield Village Golf Club’s signature par-3 12th hole – available in Golden Bear Club
- CBS Sports to Air Feature on Jack Nicklaus, Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide, and Muirfield Village GC
- Five-time major champion Phil Mickelson commits to the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide
- Nationwide and Golf Channel establish strategic partnership to elevate the profile of the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide
- The Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide accepts commitments from reigning FedExCup Champion and World No. 2 Jordan Spieth, World No. 3 Rory McIlroy and World No. 8 Dustin Johnson
- O.A.R., with special guest Rusted Root, set to play 10th annual charity concert benefiting the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation and Nationwide Children’s Hospital alliance
- Former world No. 1 and 2013 Masters champion Adam Scott set to compete in the 40th playing of the Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide