Course News & Downloads
- PGA National - Champion Course Overview Page
- 2016 Honda Classic sets new attendance record
- The Honda Classic tees off this week at Jack Nicklaus-redesigned Champion Course at PGA National
- Champion Course at PGA National Resort & Spa in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida, honored by IAGTO
- Two Nicklaus Design layouts named among PGA.com’s “Five Ryder Cup Courses You Can Play”
- The Honda Classic, benefiting the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation, under way at PGA National’s Champion Course
- Golf Channel's Big Break series selects PGA National as backdrop for 23rd season
- Jack Nicklaus has made the ‘Bear Trap’ at PGA National even more daunting with his renovation of the hole leading into it
- Nicklaus-designed Champion Course at PGA National to host Web.com qualifying finals
- Attendance at The Honda Classic rises again at the Jack Nicklaus-redesigned Champion Course at PGA National Resort & Spa
- The Honda Classic assembles early season's top field at Jack Nicklaus-redesigned Champion Course at PGA National Resort & Spa
PGA National - Champion Course News
March 15, 2012
PGA National's Champion Course No. 5 In Golfweek's Florida Rankings
Acclaim follows Honda Classic attendance record, sponsorship renewal, huge television ratings
(PALM BEACH GARDENS, Fla.) -- PGA National Resort & Spa's Champion Course -- home of the PGA TOUR Honda Classic and The Bear Trap - was ranked No. 5 in Golfweek's just released 2012 list of "Best Courses You Can Play" in Florida.
The Champion is fresh off its sixth straight year of successfully hosting the Honda Classic. The wildly popular tournament, with Tiger Woods debuting there professionally, attracted 161,700 spectators - a 45 percent increase over the 111,950 fans attending in 2011. This record comes on the heels of American Honda Motor Co. announcing its extension as title sponsor of the PGA TOUR event through 2016.
Additionally, Sunday's dramatic final round showcased Tiger Woods shooting a 62 on the vaunted Jack Nicklaus redesign in pursuit of eventual winner Rory McIlory. NBC's television coverage reported an overnight viewership rating up 78 percent from last year -- the event's best in a decade.
"This exceptional Golfweek ranking and the incredible success of this year's Honda Classic validates The Champion as one the premiere golf courses anywhere," says Joel Paige, vice president and managing director. "The many thrills and perils of The Champion and its Bear Trap plus our other world-class golf / resort amenities provide a South Florida vacation to long remember."
In addition to the Honda Classic, The Champion's storied history includes hosting the 1983 Ryder Cup, 1987 PGA Championship, and nearly two decades of the Senior PGA Championship. With five championship courses, PGA National also has the unique distinction of being home to both the David Leadbetter Golf Academy and Dave Pelz Scoring Game School, along with offering a tour level fitting experience at the PGA National Club Fitting Lab.
Says Paige, "No matter which tee-box suits your game, our resort guests and members can play The Champion anytime and really experience what's it's like to play under TOUR tournament conditions."
For more information or to make reservations, visit www.pgaresort.com, or call (800) 533.9386.
About PGA National Resort & Spa
PGA National Resort & Spa is a premier golf, vacation and meeting destination. The South Florida locale offers 90 holes of championship golf on five courses, including the famed Champion Course, home to the PGA TOUR Honda Classic and past host of the Ryder Cup, PGA Championship and a litany of other prized professional golf tournaments.
Other distinguishing features include a world-class 33,000 square-foot health-and-racquet club with 19 Har Tru tennis courts, 40,000 square feet of self-contained conference space and nine on-site restaurants and lounges.
PGA National Resort & Spa's myriad accolades include:
- AAA--Four Diamond Resort (2011)
- Golfweek -- Best You Can Play State by State (No. 5, 2012)
- Golfweek -- Best Tour Courses You Can Play (No. 28, 2011)
- Golfing Magazine - "World's Top 5 Multi-Course Venues" (2011)
- About.com -- "No. 1 Golf Resort in Florida" (2011)
- GOLF Magazine -- Top 100 Premier Resorts -- Silver Award Winner (2011)
- GOLF Magazine -- Premier Resorts Green Award Winner (2011)
- Golf World -- Top 50 Resorts (2010)
- Successful Meetings -- Pinnacle Award Winner (2011)
- The Knot -- Best of Weddings (2012)
Conveniently located within easy driving distances of major Florida population centers, the AAA Four Diamond resort is a 15-minute drive from Palm Beach International Airport (PBI), one hour from Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL) and 90 minutes from Miami International Airport (MIA).