Bear Hugs: Media celebrates Jack’s 70th
Print, broadcast and online media worldwide have put together special tributes to Jack Nicklaus to celebrate his 70th birthday. Among the tributes planned:
- Golf Digest.com, as a complement to its 70th birthday retrospective in the January issue of its magazine, has an extensive package of stories and video to celebrate Jack’s birthday. Beginning Wednesday night, the web site will feature a menu of more than a dozen items of unique content dedicated to the Golden Bear. Included is an exclusive interview with Senior Writer Tim Rosaforte, Jack-bylined features, a fan poll on Jack’s most memorable victory, and photos chronicling his career milestones, his swing, and 45 years of cover images.
- In addition to programming dedicated to Jack, the Golf Channel and its web site, TheGolfChannel.com, plan a project called "You Don't Know Jack," which will include a list of 70 items people might not know about Jack or might have forgotten. The project also will include a Q&A with Jack that includes his favorite birthday and personal memories, a video clip with staffers Randall Mell and Rex Hoggard talking about Jack's impact on the game, and a Mell column with his favorite story about Jack. Golf Channel will promote the project on air. The network has scheduled a number of shows to trumpet Jack’s legacy in the game, including Jack’s Top 10 Highlights, a re-broadcast of the popular two-part documentary Planet Jack, birthday wishes from PGA Tour players in the Bob Hope Classic, and exclusive interviews and essays on Golf Central. For the network’s schedule of Jack programming, visit www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-tv-schedule/.
- PGATour.com will run a package dedicated to Jack that will include an essay from Arnold Palmer about Jack the icon, Tom Watson on Jack the competitor, Pete Dye on Jack the designer, and Jack Nicklaus II on Jack on the family man. PGATour.com will also have unique photo galleries and will collect best wishes from fans as well as quotes from players.
- USA Today golf writer Steve DiMeglio explains that the Golden Bear’s zeal for life and business is as strong as ever at 70.
- ESPN.com golf writer Jason Sobel interviews fellow golf greats to get their take on the greatness of Jack Nicklaus.
- CBSsports.com national golf writer Steve Elling plans to tell readers that Jack was as good a patriarch as he was a golfer. He includes an interview with Jack and Barbara's only daughter, Nan O'Leary.
- Golfweek.com is featuring a collection of articles on Jack including: Q&A: Jack Nicklaus talks about turning 70, Golfweek recalls 1986 Masters, I was there to watch Jack and Celebrating the Golden Bear’s style.
- Digital golf magazine GlobalGolfPost.com is featuring a series of stories about Jack Nicklaus from their editors and correspondents.
- Scott Michaux, a columnist for the Augusta Chronicle, writes "Nicklaus at 70: no icon in his mind" GlobalGolfPost.com.
[ news index ]