Course News & Downloads
- Charity takes center stage as second Concession Cup tees off at Nicklaus-designed Concession Golf Club
- The Concession Residences wins ‘Best Development’ award at Parade of Homes
- Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin return as honorary captains of 2016 Concession Cup
- The Concession Procession: On the heels of dramatic NCAA Women’s Championship, the NCAA Division I Men’s Championships open play at Nicklaus-designed Concession GC
- 2015 NCAA Division I Women’s Golf Championships tee off today at Nicklaus-designed The Concession Golf Club in Bradenton, Fla.
- Amateur golf showcased this week in inaugural Concession Cup at Nicklaus-designed The Concession Golf Club
- The Concession by Dave Lockhart
- Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin to serve as honorary captains of inaugural Concession Cup
- The Concession Golf Club a finalist for 2017 Solheim Cup
- The Concession Golf Club Announces New Head Professional
- There are no photos for this course.
The Concession News
December 2, 2013
Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin to serve as honorary captains of inaugural Concession Cup
2008 Ryder Cup Captain Paul Azinger selected as honorary chairman,
with six-time PGA TOUR winner Gary Koch of NBC Sports hosting Opening Ceremony
Bradenton, FL – Concession Cup officials announced today that record-holding 18-time major champion Jack Nicklaus and Tony Jacklin, the most successful and celebrated British player of his generation, will serve as honorary captains for the United States and Great Britain/Ireland (GB&I) teams, respectively. The inaugural Concession Cup—a biennial amateur team match-play competition featuring teams consisting of leading Mid-Amateurs, Senior Amateurs and Super Senior Amateurs from the United States and GB&I—will be hosted at The Concession Golf Club, April 29 – May 3, 2014.
As part of Nicklaus’ and Jacklin’s roles as Honorary Captains, the World Golf Hall of Fame members will be featured guests at the event’s Opening Celebration on Tuesday, April 29, to be held at The Concession Golf Club, the award-winning course and club that was inspired by one of sports’ most-heralded acts of sportsmanship. Known throughout history as “The Concession,” it was at the 1969 Ryder Cup when Nicklaus conceded a two-foot putt to Jacklin in the final singles match that led to the first tie in the history of the matches. The Concession Cup was created to celebrate the 45th anniversary of this iconic moment.
The Concession Golf Club’s owners, the Cassidy Family—led by Bruce Cassidy and son Bruce Jr., the club’s general manager—will open the doors to their club for a week that will pay homage to amateur golf and will also raise significant money for children’s charities in their Southwest Florida backyard. The Concession Cup Opening Celebration will be a special night for all in attendance, giving attendees the opportunity to recognize the inaugural Concession Cup and be part of a platform to raise funds for three worthy charities: The First Tee of Tampa Bay, Orphan’s Heart and the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation.
“I am delighted to be a part of The Concession Cup and to join my friend Tony Jacklin as an Honorary Captain,” Nicklaus said. “I have always held a deep appreciation and respect for amateur golf, and the Cassidy Family shares that admiration for the amateur game. I’ve enjoyed a great relationship with the Cassidy Family and The Concession Golf Club, so I am very pleased to lend my support and join them in this terrific event. On behalf of my wife Barbara, we also want to extend our heartfelt appreciation to the Cassidy family and their extended family at The Concession for including our Foundation in their fundraising efforts.”
“Jack and I obviously shared a special time at the 1969 Ryder Cup Matches, and to know that the spirit of that moment was part of the vision for The Concession Cup is very gratifying,” said Jacklin. “When asked, I immediately accepted the chance to serve as the Honorary Captain for the GB&I team and I am already looking forward to the event next April.”
Tournament officials also announced today that Concession Golf Club members, Paul Azinger and Gary Koch, will take prominent roles with the Concession Cup. Azinger, the 1993 PGA Championship winner who captained the victorious 2008 U.S. Ryder Cup team, will serve as the event’s Honorary Chairman. Koch, the NBC Sports commentator and six-time winner on the PGA TOUR, will act as host and emcee of the Opening Celebration.
“We are thrilled to have the support of Jack, Tony, Paul and Gary for The Concession Cup,” said Bruce Cassidy Jr., general manager The Concession Golf Club. “What a tremendous statement of strength it is to have these gentlemen agree to support our inaugural tournament. Their participation only increases our anticipation for what we know will be a tremendous event, as we celebrate the spirit of Amateur Golf.”
More details for this unique event will be available in the coming weeks and months. The tentative schedule is as follows:
- April 29th – Practice Round and Opening Celebration/Gala
- April 30th – Charity Am/Am event
- May 1st – Day 1 – 9 Foursome matches
- May 2nd – Day 2 – 9 Fourball matches
- May 3rd – Day 3 – 18 Singles matches and Closing Awards